Engineering Design and Development
(12th Grade IDP) Students will research and choose a problem, design a product to solve the problem using advanced STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering & Mathematics), build and test a prototype, analyze data and draw conclusions, manufacture a final product prototype, present the product and marketing strategies at a business convention.
How can life be improved or enhanced through innovative design and production?
|AP English Literature and Composition
||AP Calculus AB
- How will scientific & societal media & literature enhance my development of this project?
- What creative, artistic & practical marketing skills are necessary to sell my products effectively?
- What products sell?
- What government incentives support my innovative entrepreneurship?
- How can data help improve product design?
- How can a product be designed/manufactured to meet requirements?
- How can a product be tested?
- Study scientific & popular literature to research and analyze societal problems & possible effective solutions.
- Develop a creative & effective business name & logo.
- Develop business cards & a marketing brochure.
- Develop creative, artistic & effective designs for all marketing materials.
- Design a creative, visually appealing, spatially effective & organized demonstration board.
- Use correct grammar in all materials.
- Develop creative, effective & well-edited media presentation of product.
- Develop creative, appealing & concise verbal scripts for live presentations of your product.
- List best-selling products.
- Explain laws of supply and demand.
- Describe marketing strategies that work.
- Illustrate slogans or trademarks that will help sell your product.
- Experiment with those strategies on a focus group.
- Design a marketing strategy for your product.
- Estimate or predict the level of success or revenue for your product line or idea.
- Define incentives.
- Review patent laws.
- Demonstrate why government should research and development.
- Criticize disincentives for innovative entrepreneurship.
- Propose innovation.
- Rate your government’s support of innovative entrepreneurship.
- Create a matrix of the problems being considered listing pros and cons for each topic. Draw a conclusion to choose the final problem.
- Create a matrix of possible solutions listing pros and cons for each one. Draw a conclusion.
- Create an itemized bill of materials for the prototype, listing all parts and their fair market costs.
- Analyze the data from your testing plan to improve the final product.
- Define the specifications for the product from design requirements.
- Design a product that meets the specifications.
- Manufacture a prototype of the product
- Define a testing plan to verify whether the product meets the requirements.